From: Mark Blewett (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-10 08:31:50

At 10:23 10/04/2005, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > OK I've done more changes/improvements. It's now a fluid layout. Since
> > no one except Dave had suggestions on what to I went with his idea of
> > two (mostly equal) columns. In this case the left is fluid the right is
> > fixed.
> >
> > I also removed everything except the latest release information. For the
> > simple reason that more than that make the page unnecessarily long.
> > After all anything older than the latest version isn't "Latest News".
> >
> > http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/index.htm
>
>It's very unusual, but I _think_ I like it overall. I think the right
>column could use some reorganization; the groupings don't feel very
>natural to me. But I can't come up with a better suggestion right now ;-)

I like it too.

I think is slightly unusual (in web design) to have the links on the right
hand side, but to me it actually makes reading the content (the text on the
left) more natural and book like.

A few minor (and possibly subjective) thoughts;

1) To me it seems a bit strange having the revised / copyright / license /
icons bit halfway down the page on the right hand side. I think it would
maybe better at the bottom of the page.

2) In the Updated Libraries section, maybe it would be better for the
library name to occupy a line on its own? i.e.

         Graph Library:
                 Introduced several new algorithms and improved existing
algorithms:
                 +
<http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/libs/graph/doc/floyd_warshall_shortest.html>floyd
warshall all pairs shortest paths, from Lauren Foutz and Scott Hill.
                 +etc

To me it makes it easier to scan the list to find the library you are
looking for.

3) Finally (I'm not sure about this idea.. but would be interested to see
whether it is an improvement or not).

Viewing with a browser width of about 800px (half my desktop width).. at
the bottom of the page the text of the left has 5 or 6 words per line.. but
there is unused space on the right of the page.

Would it be possible to allow the text on the left to flow across to the
right side of the page if there is space available?

Regards
Mark