From: Don G (dongryphon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-14 08:43:45

Hi Iain,

> Not all platforms have threads. There may even be
> some that don't supply co-operative multi-tasking.

I'm sure they exist. Can we name any that are important to this
design?

> Non-blocking calls are akin to polling.
> A non-blocking read fails if there is no data to
> read. A non-blocking write fails if there is
> insufficient space in the queue. If a non-block
> write succeeds then its behaviour is identical
> to a blocking write.
>
> An async write queues the request and success or
> failure is reported sometime later.

At issue here, for me<g>, is that the grouping of objects to
select/whatever calls is non-portable. In other words, the select_set
class must do many silly things on some platforms to support a bad
mixture or too many. So, in my proposal, this is in the realm of
internals.

> BTW callbacks are just *one* way that async
> completion can be reported.

Agreed. But don't we have to pick something? ;)

Best,
Don