From: Johan Johansson (johanj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 18:33:24

There may be an error in them. From
http://www.boost.org/more/int_const_guidelines.htm:

---
An integral constant expression can be one of the following:
2. An enumerator value.
9. The result of applying a binary operator to two integral constant
expressions:
INTEGRAL_CONSTANT1 op INTEGRAL_CONSTANT2
provided that the operator is not an assignment operator, or comma operator.
---
Neither gcc (3.3.3) nor Metrowerks (don't remember version) seems to
think that "enumVal1 | enumVal2" is an integral constant expression.
This seems obvious in the case of operator| being overloaded, although
Comeau online 4.3.3 *does* seem to swallow that without complaint, which
greatly diminishes my expectations of being right and greatly adds to my
confusion. However, gcc and Metrowerks seem to ban this even if
operator| is not overloaded. I haven't found the standardese to motivate
that yet. Someone set me straight, please!
Thanks,
Johan