From: Walter Landry (wlandry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-16 20:29:58

Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The problem is not to get boost installed, the problem is to make
> developers realize the benefits of using it, and to avoid scaring
> them off in the process. I agree that a clumsy installation
> procedure may scare some potential users off, but to be honest I do
> not think that is the biggest obstacle for potential new boost
> users.
>
> My experience installing boost the first time was quite pleasant
> even if I had to learn a few things about a tool called bjam and get
> it installed first.

My view is very different from yours. The last thing that I want to
do when I am installing a new program is learn about a new build
system. On Unix, the install procedure should really be "configure ;
make ; make install". There is really no excuse for that not to be
the case. I would expect a binary installer on Windows. In fact,
there should be a list of binary packages on the front page. If they
don't exist for a platform (OS X?), they need to be built and offered
there.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry_at_[hidden]