From: Lars Gullik Bjønnes (larsbj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-17 13:23:34

brangdon_at_[hidden] (Dave Harris) writes:

| vawjr_at_[hidden] (Victor A. Wagner Jr.) wrote (abridged):
>> > The shear size of boost bothers me in that I don't want to burden
>> > my source code control system unnecessarily.
>>
>> 21 meg isn't that much (for the headers)
>
| Actually it's quite a lot. This is a "new tool" issue - once any new tool
| is incorporated into the code, we have to keep it around for ever, even if
| it proves useless and we stop using it 6 months later. It's a barrier to
| entry, and it would be a lower barrier if boost took 1 meg or 10k.

But if you need all you need all...

In LyX we use a lot of stuff from Boost, but not all of it so we only
provide the headers that we actually need: ca. 8 Mb. And compressed
that should be ca. 1 Mb (maybe even less).

| Basically I am supporting the idea of splitting boost into a collection of
| small, independent packages.

But not being able to use boost libraries to implement boost libraries
seems very inconvenient.

--
	Lgb