From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-23 03:02:09

> Hmm - what was wrong with the archive being smaller than you wanted? Since
> your argument is const, it should be the same value.

It is const because BigClass::get_data() returns a const pointer to its
internal data (which is not const).

mycallback() is called repeatedly, as operations happen that change the
data in BigClass.

> dereferencing is not the same as serialization the pointer. In the second
> case a new object will be created when serialized. I would be surprised if
> dereferencing eliminated the copy.

No, it worked: I got the data I expected to be serialized.

I realized after posting that doing this may be clearer:
  const SomeData &d=*BC.get_data();

(or get_data() returning a const reference in the first place, but
BigClass works and I don't want to fiddle with it at the moment).

Darren