From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 05:26:57

Iain K. Hanson wrote:

Hi Iain,

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:31:43AM +0300, Boris wrote:
>> Rob Stewart wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> However I withdraw the idea of non-blocking I/O support in socket
>> streams anyway as we can't know with the standard interface if "s <<
>> a" fails partially.
>>
> Whether it is non-blocking or not is AFAICS is irrelevant. if is
> sizeof char then a is not in the buffer and the failure is because of
> buffer write.

in this early stage of the network library I primarily think about
interfaces and behaviors and not about buffers. As blocking and non-blocking
functions are quite similar (in their interface and behavior) I wanted to
elaborate on socket streams if they can support both I/O models. I
understand it doesn't work with the standard interface of streams.

I see that you are talking about the underlying buffer and want to point out
additional problems if I understand you correctly. I didn't get as much down
to the underlying buffer as I stopped already at the interface.

Boris