From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 05:54:43

Iain K. Hanson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I created the layers concept for the C++ Networking boost library.
>
> The layers I defined are:
>
> Layer 1 :- Light weight wrappers arround predominantl BSD socket
> concepts.
>
> Layer 2 :- Acceptor, Connector, Reactor, and Svc_Handler concepts ala
> ACE.
>
> Layer 3 :- An optional iostreams interface if desirable?
>
> Layer 4:- Applications layer - includes ftp, telent, http/s And user
> applications

Is layer a package or a level of abstraction? I ask as I wonder if eg. layer
3 is based on layer 2?

If you look at http://www.highscore.de/boost/net/packages.png I put the
packages "ace" (your layer 2) and "iostream" (your layer 3) both in layer 1
because they don't necessarily depend on each other and I don't know if we
can tell which one of the two packages has a higher level of abstraction.

> [...]
> Boris has also been atempting bto model Layer 1 but keeps calling
> itlayer 0.

Hey, everyone called it level 0! :-)

> we need a common nomenclture or confusion will reign.

That's why I added the link to the package structure at
http://www.highscore.de/boost/net/packages.png everywhere to make sure we
talk about the same. It's quite similar to your layers concept except that
you created new application layer.

Boris