From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 10:43:19

David Abrahams wrote:
> Bronek Kozicki <brok_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>> BOOST_SP_DISABLE_THREADS in the case of como strict mode (assuming
>>> you can tell)
>> ^^^^^^^
>> You can not. I asked Greg Comeau for that some time ago.
>
> In that case shouldn't we be setting BOOST_NO_THREADS or some
> such macro instead of one that's particular to the smart ptr library?

BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS is already being set, but shared_ptr ignores it when
it detects Windows. This is because it is very common for people to link
single-threaded libraries (that are thread-agnostic except for their use of
shared_ptr under the covers) against a multithreaded program and vice versa.
(Or it has been common in the past; the new auto link feature may fix that
for Boost libraries at least.)

This scheme works on every Windows compiler except como in strict mode.