From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 11:46:10

> Ok, I was just thinking that using aligned_storage instead of
> aligned_storage::type might have been an invalid usage from the beginning
> (I probably should have tracked down the documentation).

Actually there wasn't any until I added it with the updated version!

>> 2) The code you posted above should non-the-less compile. Are you using
>> the latest cvs?
>
> No I wasn't. I am now, and the problem has gone away :) However, I am
> worried that people who still have the old version of aligned_storage may
> be unable to test my singleton library when it comes up for review. It
> appears that aligned storage itself is not a POD, so the ::type is
> necessary. Should I package the new version of aligned_storage with the
> singleton zip so that testers will not run into problems?

That sounds like a reasonable solution: it's only one file after all, and I
think you probably really do want a POD type when building a singleton (but
just guessing on my part, I haven't looked at your code yet).

>> The error message also looks strange: 'MyClass' is not a member of
>> aligned_storage after all!
>
> My mistake, that should read:
> error C2039: 'type' : is not a member of 'boost::aligned_storage<size_>'
>
> I was trying to translate a more complex use case and error message to a
> simpler one, which I should have compiled independently.

No problem, glad it was easily fixed,

John.