From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 17:35:09

----- Mensaje original -----
De: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Miércoles, Abril 27, 2005 11:05 pm
Asunto: [boost] Re: Boost to the rescue

> "JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z" <joaquin_at_[hidden]> writes:

> > * As for #3 and #4, I've got this idea round my head
> > that Boost would benefit of a "community site" where
> > people of various expertise levels could mingle
> > together, post Boost-related articles, etc. Something
> > like CodeProject or Gamedev, which have a less
> > intimidating appearance than www.boost.org. Some months
> > ago I asked for a Boost-related forum in CodeProject,
> > to no avail :(
>
> Something wrong with boost-users?

There *must* be something wrong with it: Consider the
(developer list)/(user list) posting ratio, around
10:1 --I guess (I hope) that the actual developer/user
ratio is much lower than that.
So, it seems like somehow the list is not so popular.
Some hypotheses as of why:

* Posting to and scanning a mailing list is not an
impulsive action, and takes some will from the part of the
poster.
* The list could feel a little imposing, as most of the
time it is the lib's author herself who responds.
Somehow this formality prevents casual chatting,
experience sharing etc. I'd hope most of the
support to be provided by other users, not the
authors.
* Response time is not as fast as with a forum.
* The looks ain't sexy.
* Boost users don't really have that many problems
to consult about :)

> If so, I'd be happy to set up a forum at boost-consulting.com, if we
> can decide on the right software.

A couple of seemingly popular free bulletin packages are
YaBB and MyBulletinBoard. More ambitious community packages
are Plone (which has about anything) and Postnuke: these
two latter could serve as the basis for a fuller community
site.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefóinca, Investigación y Desarrollo