From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-29 04:33:12

----Original Message----
From: Rene Rivera [mailto:grafik.list_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 28 April 2005 16:28
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: [website] Oh the fun..

> Martin Bonner wrote:

Sure. But my point was that it is users, not web-designers that matter.

> And the various *_ptr discussions should serve as an example.
NOOO! This way madness lies :-)

[snip]
>> So why do you need to specify the background colour? I haven't
>> looked at the source, but it looks white on my machine which is the
>> default for my browser.
>
> What makes you assume that everyone has a default background color of
> white? I certainly don't assume that, nor have my default as white.

OK. I have now checked the source. The styles explicitly specify a
background of white. I changed my background colour, and the design does
NOT respect that. I think it should.

> What you are saying is to abandon design and leave it entirely to the
> browser defaults and user settings.
Yes, I realize that means abandoning ANY control of colour - I don't think
that is a bad thing. You can still control layout (and I would like to
congratulate you on using %ages and em/pt measurements rather than px
measurements).

> And please don't assume that the browser developers made perfect, or
> even good, choices about how to present a web page.
That is depressingly true :-(

> Like I just said above.. You can turn the CSS *off* and have your
> browser+user settings prevail. For example with Firefox you can choose
> the View/Page Style/No Style menu and voila you have your defaults.
Ah! THAT was something I didn't know. Cool! That enormously weakens my
argument (particulaly given that you have carefully avoided putting style
information into the basic HTML).

I think colour control probably /does/ make sense here (it allows the
inverse banner, and the neat bullets (which are images, not characters).

Having said all that:
- I would prefer a more conventional appearence for the links (different
colour, more striking underline - and I'm not keen on hover highlights [but
that's just personal prejudice]).

- I agree with the observation that Google has trained me to ignore boxes on
the right

Joel wrote:
> IMO, Rene's work is superb.
Good point Joel. I forgot to mention that didn't I? Sorry Rene - this is
all carping at the edges. The overall effect is a big improvement on the
main Boost website (which itself is by no means bad).

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]