From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 16:11:05

"Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email)"
<SeeWebsiteForEmail_at_[hidden]> wrote

> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> > And sometimes, I think, it's _the only_ way. If you are interested,
please
> > take a look at typeof_internals.htm.zip in the boost sandbox file vault.
>
> The only way as long as you commit to not look outside C++. There are
> plenty of text manipulation tools outside C++ that offer what could be
> done with the C++ preprocessor with programming paradigms that I
> consider unworthy of learning. Those tools (sed, awk, perl) are widely
> available, and in my humble opinion any programmer worth her salt should
> have at least a cursory understanding of them.
>
> Those tools also offer more power than the C++ preprocessor, within the
> confines of a much more pleasant programming paradigm.

Just out of curiosity: can you write a library that would require to
pre-process your user's C++ text with one of these tools, and then convince
anybody to use this library?

If Perl is better then C++ preprocessor, then it should become C++
preprocessor. But it needs to be built-in, otherwise these are apples
against oranges.

Regards,
Arkadiy