From: Cliff Green (cliffg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-06 18:26:02

> While you waiting my recomendation is very simple: wrap Boost.Test test
> tools access using your own locks available.

Thanks for the suggestions and taking the requests,
Gennadiy ... I was thinking about this (wrapping with my
own locks) after finding out the thread-unsafeness, with
the only caveat that it does significantly affect the
thread timing, which can mask any underlying problems I'm
trying to find. I realize that if you add underlying mutex
locks into Boost.Test, you're doing some of the same thing
yourself ... the biggest difference is that you know which
portions need the locks, and which are already thread-safe
and don't need additional locks (of course I can always
read the Boost.Test code and do the analysis myself, but
at that point I'd just as soon volunteer my time to help
you with that work. :) ).

Any real multi-threading experts are welcome to abuse my
assumptions and approaches - I've realized over the last
year or two how complex the subject is, and how much I
don't yet know ... :)

(On a side note, we're using ACE Threads, not Boost
Threads, primarily for the specific platform support that
ACE Threads provides - Solaris, Vxworks, Win32, Linux,
etc.)

Cliff