From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-08 22:58:59

Paul Mensonides wrote:

>>The
>>computational model is known and powerful. In contrast,
>>programming based on the token-oriented preprocessor uses
>>arcane idioms and computations, which IMO just takes us back
>>40 years.
>

> What idioms are those? This, BTW, from the perspective of a user, not library
> internals. What is really the difference, idiomwise, between fold(list, state),
> fold<list, state>, and FOLD(list, state)?

<rant>

Speaking of the user's perspective, I find both techniques quite hard to use
(with the current tools, i.e. compilers): As soon as I make the slightest error,
I'm immediately exposed to all sorts of details through almost unintelligible
error messages that *do* require much more knowledge of library internals than
I would like. There doesn't appear to be much encapsulation.
For example, reading the boost.python tutorial is by far not enough to be able
to work with the library. Without reading again and again through reference
manual and source code I wouldn't have found my way through all the error
messages compilers have been throwing at me.

</rant>

Regards,
                Stefan