From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-16 22:24:50

"Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>>
>> are these "problems" as serious as vector<bool> ?
>>

> Yes. It's exactly the same situation. You are giving collection<X>
> different semantics than collection<Y>.

Actually, it's worse than with vector<bool> at least with vector<bool> and
vector<T> they still have the same underlying semantcs, and still look the
same over all the elements if you're careful to limit what you look at, so
it's possible to write algorithms that will work for both of them. That's
not the case here.

> BTW, I find your use of quotes rather "disparaging". If you think this
> situation is different, please give /technical/ reasons. Thanks.

Thorsten's contributions would go much further if he were more willing to
learn from the mistakes of the past and give weight to the acquired wisdom
of a community that has been doing C++ library design for a long time.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting