From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 10:30:52

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:30:27AM +0100, Marcin KaliciXski wrote:
> Tracking the disussion on n1774 'Big integer library proposal for C++0x' I
> see there is a lot of controversy about it, and it will probably need much
> tweaking before (if ever) it is accepted.
>
> Wouldn't that be a good idea to have a big integer added to boost so that we
> can create a 'working practice' before anything gets standarised?
>
> I have some preliminary source code, some spare time, and would volunteer to
> work on it if there's enough interest.

The replies indicated some interest in arbitrary long integer / arbitrary
precision arithmetic among Boost users and developers. Today I got a call for
participation in the `"many digits" friendly competition 2005' organized by
Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. To quote from the call for
participation:

  In the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences at Radboud
  University Nijmegen we will organise a demo/benchmark session for
  investigating the state of the art in the various implementations of
  exact real arithmetic. The event will be held on 3-4 October 2005,
  in conjunction with the Small TYPES workshop on Constructive
  analysis, types and exact real numbers
  <http://www.cs.ru.nl/fnds/typesreal/>.

I don't have time to pursue this myself but those interested in the topic
might also be interested in this event - maybe not with an own submission, but
to learn from the experiences others made while implementing arbitrary
precision arithmetic.

The complete call for participation is available at
<url:http://www.cs.ru.nl/~milad/manydigits/CFPar.txt>.

Regards

Christoph

--