From: Spencer.Collyer_at_[hidden]
Date: 2005-05-19 10:55:38

> > At my work we have a logging library that has concepts of
> log topics and
> > log levels. These are orthogonal - any particular log message is
> > associated with one topic and has one level, but the messages for a
> > given topic can have any level specified. The topics are
> arranged in a
> > tree-like hierarchy, and if a minimum logging level is
> specified for a
> > topic it also affects any subtopics of that topic which
> have not had a
> > logging level specifically set.
>
> I would assume what you call "topic" here, is what I've done by using
> loggers/hierarchy. Have you read the docs?

John, what we call topics are indeed analogous to your loggers.

I have indeed read the docs and found a lot to like in the proposed
library, but it does need the ability to specify different levels for
different messages on a particular log (IMHO, of course :) )

Spencer

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays
Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message. Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes,
it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is
caused by viruses being passed. Any views or opinions presented are
Barclays Group. Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays
Group for operational or business reasons.