From: Allan Wind (allan_wind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 15:35:53

On 2005-05-19T14:30:37-0400, Eric Goebelbecker wrote:
> 3) Log "rolling" is critical. In a "normal" runtime scenario very few
> messages are sent to the log - but when something does go wrong a
> history of "aw shucks" messages can be very helpful.

* Roll on date and/or size (i.e. roll every 24 hours unless
  the log file hits 2 GB in which case you want to roll now).

* Log file name contain timestamp of when it was rolled.

* User-defined action when we roll. Removal of old log files
  either by age, total size, and/or number of files.

* Log to syslog

* Run-time configuration. For instance, log normal stuff to syslog
  but for debugging we want to write trace data to /tmp/debug.log
  for some tags (suggested earlier I think).

/Allan