From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-20 04:43:24

> By coincidence, yesterday I modified the iostreams regression tests to use
> Boost.Random instead of std::rand, which was behaving poorly on Linux and
> Darwin. The above change means that iostreams is now broken on at least
> one
> compiler, CodeWarrior 8.3, which doesn't support SFINAE.
>
> Would you mind if the new constructors and seed functions were included
> only for
> compilers supporting enable_if? Alternatively, would you mind if I
> implemented
> these functions without enable_if? From a quick look, it appears that all
> of the
> seed functions and most if not all of the constructors can be made to work
> on
> older compilers without much work.

They can indeed: when I put together the TR1 library in the sandbox vault
(http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/vault/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=tr1),
I wrapped all the random generators in order to provide a TR1 conforming
interface: no fancy compiler tricks were required at all. Feel free to
steal any code you want.

Footnote: strictly speaking these changes which introduce new features
should not have been introduced at this time (right before release).

John.