From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-21 11:07:34

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> I believe Cygwin uses gcc 3.3, and I had a similar experience with
>> wide character support (or lack thereof) in gcc 3.3.x on Solaris.
>> Upgrading to 3.4.x fixed things. Perhaps you can get a gcc 3.4
>> package or build the compiler from source to see if this helps. Has
>> anyone here tried this?
>
> It's not going to help: the cygwin dll has no (or at least extremely
> limited) C language wide character support. Without that there's nothing
> for libstdc++ to build on. In contrast Solaris did have C language
> support for wide characters, it's just that libstdc++ wasn't taking
> advantage of it until 3.4.

I wonder how much work it would be to fix the cygwin dll?

Maybe we should either badger the Cygwin folks, or contribute patches. It
certainly is a bother not to have wide character support.

In the meantime, I've disabled i18n wide character support in
Boost.Filesystem for older broken compilers, and any library without locale
or wstring support.

--Beman