From: Jason Earl (Jason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 07:50:04

On 25 May 2005, at 13:37, Stuart Dootson wrote:

> On 5/25/05, Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 5/25/05, Stuart Dootson <stuart.dootson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Download and unpack Boost!
>>>
>>> 2. Open up a Visual Studio 2003 command prompt window (this is on the
>>> Start Menu entry for Visual Studio 2003, and has pre-run
>>> vcvars32.bat)
>>> and 'cd' to the root Boost directory. Execute the command
>>>
>>> bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 --prefix=c:\lib\boost
>>
>> But to do this you need to build (and install someplace in your PATH)
>> or download bjam first. Its not hard, but this may not be imediately
>> obvious to the newbie.
>>
>> I really think the Getting Started guide is more than adequate, and is
>> concise and easy to follow. There are gigantic yellow numbers next to
>> the important steps. Perhaps an "ultra-quick-start for the command
>> line averse" could be added, but really how much more hand-holding
>> does one need?
>>

> You're right, I forgot a step - I was going to download the Boost
> distro to see if bjam.exe was in it, but the Sourceforge downloads
> area is blocked at work, so I couldn't.
>
> I would tend to agree with you that (for me) the Getting Started guide
> is sufficient - but then, I've always been comfortable with using the
> command-line (I've got a VAX/VMS and Unix history before Windows).
> There are a lot of Windows developers out there who haven't got that
> level of comfort.
>
> Stuart Dootson

Ditto, I find that the Getting started guide was easy as pie to use for
setting up with
Windows and VS.NET. Again though, I also am quite conformable with the
command
line and using bits of Linux here (at the same time I'm not unix pro).

TBH, I think any self respecting C++ user should have experience in a
cross platform
environment. I'm surprised how many Windows-only programmers there are
out there.

Jase