From: Hendrik Schober (SpamTrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 08:58:27

Jason Earl <Jason_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]
> However in the case of Boost, it's target audience is not your average
> client / dumb computer user. It's aimed at professional C++ programmer.
> If a C/C++ programmer is expected to understand things like memory
> management / allocation concepts and policies, then they shouldn't have
> any problem with using a shell. After all anyone with experience with
> Unix will realise how of an advantage a shell is in terms of
> flexibility when it comes to deploying stuff with scripts etc.

  There are millions of C++ users out there who
  almost never have the need to use a command
  line tool. Still, many of them are doing very
  professional work. They see the advantage of
  their IDE over your arcane command line and
  you'd be just amazed to see how they do their
  work using it as they would be seeing you
  typing.
  C++ programmers are expected to learn a lot
  more than memory etc. They need to learn the
  language extensions/tweaks necessary for their
  job, 3rd-party APIs, other libs they need to
  use, build systems, in-house style guides, new
  languages how to circumvent bugs in their tools...
  To many, using command line tools is just one
  of many things they'd love to learn to do
  better one day -- and never find the time to
  actually do so. When you're rushing from
  deadline to deadline you're just looking at
  the stuff you need for your next project and
  sigh because it's just a tenth of what you'd
  like to look at. On Windows, using command
  line tools isn't within this tenth for many
  professionals. And for those, installing
  boost is a hassle.
  You might say you'Re fine with that and this
  is OK with me. Just don't diss programmers
  that don't use command line tools in their
  daily work. And don't suppose boost is easy
  to setup if for those. It's not.

> [...]

  Schobi

--