From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 15:36:48

> "Jeff Flinn" <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> "Rene Rivera" <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>> Do most users ever see(or need be concerned with) what these parameters
>> eventually expand to?
>
> I don't understand the question.

The previous response implied that the "-sTOOLS=vc-7_1" was used to generate
file names like "vc-7_1-tools.jam". This led me to believe that the dashes
and dots are currently required to ease the generation of such filenames.
I've never needed to know what was going on under the hood of bjam/build in
the past. So if more user friendly names, I'd think that I wouldn't ever
notice that "sTOOLS=vc7_1" generated/used file(s) named "vc-7_1-tools.jam".
So couldn't there be more separation between the presentation and
representation of the build system? In other words are the following doable?

bjam "-sTOOLS=vc6_5" install
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7_0" install
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7_1" install

Thanks, Jeff