From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-28 12:05:15

Please don't get the impression I'm not sympathetic to you're (and others
concerns about this). I am. We'll hear on the list complaints about this
from time to time. On the other hand, we won't hear complaints from those
who encountered the STATIC_ASSERT, puzzled a bit, maybe read the manual and
tweaked the code so the STATIC_ASSERT goes away, and serialization works
just as we expect it to.

If we don't trap this situation, serialization tracking will not work and
the error will not be immediatly apparent and users may have to spend a
very, very, long time to track it down. We may not even hear from these
people as they might just conclude its not worth the effort. So, I'm not
confident that the number of "broken cases" complained about on the list is
an accurate indicator of what the correct thing to do is.

I don't see this change as "breaking code" but rather detecting code that is
very likely already broken.

So, as I said, its not that I'm unsympathetic to your point of view, I just
don't think everyone is sympathetic to mine.

Robert Ramey