From: Manfred Doudar (manfred.doudar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-29 01:04:20

Jeff Garland wrote:

>On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:19:54 +0100, John Maddock wrote
>

>>We also need a clear policy for what goes on the page, my initial
>>thoughts are that as an incentive to users to "own up" we should allow:
>>
>>A company logo, where appropriate.
>>A link to the home page of the product/organisation that's using Boost.
>>A brief description of the product/organisation that's using Boost.
>>

>Hmm, not sure others do that. For example:
>
>http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-users.html
>http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/projects.html

Since its been noted, I'd like to add my $0.02 on the doxygen projects
page - in short, I think the simplicity of the page is its success - you can
glance down the page, identify a product on the left, a short summary
on the right, click on an interesting link and brief the product:

... it provides an easy way to associate someone's work, with something
that you might also like to emulate, and whence in the case of doxygen,
take up the tool for your own documentation purposes.

On the other hand, Boost is not a documenation generator, and some words
about explicit Boost integration into thrid party work is probably
warranted.

I guess what I am saying is that the right mix of presentation of
the information is important here.

>BTW, I kind of think the 'powered-by' logo on the ACE page is a cool idea
>although I've never seen it used anywhere....

That sounds kind of interesting - a 'powered by Boost' logo would
be nice to spread the word too.

Just a query though, if something did come out of the suggestion,
could it ever be misused by third parties - I'd imagine for someone
to have such a thing on their web-page advertising their association
with Boost, that the such a logo would have conditions attached
with its usage [to safegaurd Boost image]... (just a wild thought
of the top of my head).

(thoughts, ideas?)

>>If we could set up a trial page first, with 2 or 3
>>companies/products listed, so that potential customers can see what
>>they're letting themselves in for, that would probably help as well.
>>

>Sounds like a plan.

Gee wiz, things move quickly here. :-)

>BTW, one completely different approach would be to find users to write a
>'success stories'. This is how KDE does some of this kind of 'advertising':
>
>http://enterprise.kde.org/bizcase/viewbytype.php

I guess my remarks about doxygen above are probably relevant here.

Cheers,

--
Manfred Doudar
MetOcean Engineers