From: Giovanni P. Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-02 21:14:55

Edward Diener wrote:
> Maksym Motornyy wrote:
[...]
>> As of version 2.0 C# will have yield statement. It intended for
>> simplifying iterator development. Yield suspends execution of iterator
>> code and resumes it on next increment. Thus complex traversal
>> iterators are much easier to write in natural loop-like form instead
>> of unroll them.
>

> Nicely stolen from Python <g>.

I think that yield is part of the general concept of coroutines and has
not really been invented by Python nor C# (Knuth if I remember
correctly). Then again, I did not really read anything about the C#
yield, so I'm not sure it is really about coroutines (btw, why the
"yield return" syntax and not just "yield"?).

Speaking of more Boost centric stuff? There has been any proposal of a
coroutine library? I think it should definitely be useful and not really
that hard to implement (fibers on windows and makecontext or the
setjump/sigaltstack trick on unices). Anyone interested?

Regards,

----
Giovanni P. Deretta