From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-07 09:45:55

In early version, the serialzation of pointers was overloadable at a higher
level. After a lot of discussion, I was convinced to change to the current
system. The achieved a real benefit - unfortunately I don't remember what
it was. The previous overload was still in there - but undocumented. More
recently, I deleted this "middle" layer.

Robert Ramey