From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-18 18:52:32

"Hendrik Schober" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I voluteered to look at how to make the "Getting Started"
> section of the homepage a bit easier to understand and
> follow. (Reminder: I failed to install boost on Windows due
> to stupid errors on my side which I claimed could have been
> avoided with an easier guide.)
> My time to do this is very limited, which is why this takes
> so long. Sorry, but I can't help it.
> I attached a zipped archive of what I have so far. (Unpack
> onto the "more" folder.) I threw this at some fellow workers
> being used to work with Windows. This gave some feedback of
> where I failed. Also, Dave has already put a lot of work
> into reviewing it and this brought many improvements.
> As I still don't understand Boost.Build (I consider it very
> important to remain as ignorant as the targeted audience
> while working on this guide. :o> ), I'd like this to first
> be reviewed here instead of just checking it in.

   If you are on a more common platform, it is strongly recommended
   that you download a prebuilt bjam executable here. Otherwise, or
   if you are using an unreleased state from CVS (or if you are
   feeling adventurous), you need to download its sources and build it
   yourself.

should be:

  It is strongly recommended that you simply <a href="...">download a
  prebuilt bjam executable</a> if we have supplied one for your
  platform. Otherwise, you'll need to build bjam from source. You may
  also need to rebuild bjam if you are using an unreleased state of
  the Boost sources from CVS, since the prebuilt executable may not
  support all the features currently being used by Boost.

[no need to separately download the bjam sources -- they are checked
into Boost's CVS!]

[Levity is nice, but in this case there's real information we need to
fit in. "use fewer words" - E.B. White]

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting