From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-21 08:13:14

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> "Hendrik Schober" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> See here how you can tailor Boost.Build for your platform.
> and
> See here how to do this.
>
> are ungrammatical.

The first can be rewritten as, "You can <a href="...">tailor
Boost.Build</a> for your platform," for example.

> To prepare Unix tools such as GCC, the compiler and linker must be

Rather than "Unix" consider "*nix" to be more inclusive. Those
using a *nix OS will understand. Those not using one won't care.

> The installation process builds libraries and copies headers into
> the following directory structure:
>
> <pre>
> <i>installation directory</i>
> |
> +---include
> | |
> | |
> | +---boost
> | |
> | +---<i>header1</i>.hpp
> | <i>header2</i>.hpp
> | .
> | .
> | .
> | <i>more headers and directories</i>
> |

> +---lib
> |
> +---<i>library1</i>
> <i>library2</i>
> .
> .
> .
>
> </pre>

Very nice picture of the structure.

s/root/<i>root</i>

> above will be added to your compiler's <code>#include</code> path in
> a later step. If you don't install the Boost libraries because
> you're exclusively using its header-only libraries, the folder
> containing the downloaded Boost distribution will act as your
> <code>#include</code> root directory.

Good. I was going to call for a footnote describing "#include
root" better and relating it to the compiler's include path, but
you've got it covered.

> The default build and install attempts to build all available
> libraries and install to default locations the libraries and Boost
> header files.

Now you're sounding a bit like Yoda. How about this:

   The default build and install attempts to build all available
   libraries and install the libraries and header files to
   default locations.

> Also, there's a preposition missing before "how." How about,
>
> If you are using an IDE, there is usually a graphical tool for
> specifying which directories will be searched for
> <code>#include<...></code>ed files.

"Graphical tool" suggests something other than a dialog or other
on-screen GUI structure to me. It suggests, e.g., charting. I
suggest this:

   If you are using an IDE, it probably provides a means for
   specifying which directories will be searched for....

> Footnotes:
> [1] Depending on your installation, a Unix compiler such as GCC may
> have additional requirements. Check with your system administrator
> if you're unsure about your installation.

While correct, "you're unsure" is a bit awkward. I suggest
expanding the contraction or replacing "unsure" with "not sure."