From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-01 05:11:04

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:57:57PM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

> Jonathan Wakely <cow_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:46:47AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> >
> >> Lovely! "which" should be "that," though, at least by U.S. English
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> rules" Normally, "which" should only follow a comma in a fragment that
> >> could be removed without altering the meaning of a sentence, as in "I
> >> felt lousy, which might have been good since I didn't want to go
> >> anyway."
> >
> > That seems wrong to me. A style-guide which requires that is being a
> > bit picky IMHO.
>
> Tell that to my publisher.

:-) fair enough

> > c.f. Chambers:
> > http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/chref/chref.py/main?title=21st&query=which
> > Your rule seems only to apply to the 3rd definition, which is not the
> > sense in which Tobias is using "which".
>
> British English has it's own, different, rules.

Yes, that's true, although isn't Merriam-Webster American? Rob's quote
supported my position. I'm not concerned either way, seems as though
you guys are doing a fine job of re-working the docs without my pedantry
(I was an English "language lawyer" long before I'd heard of C++ ;)

jon