From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-02 15:07:08

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:17:32 -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:41:00 -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote

> Apparently so. For many of the deprecated functions there's a
> recommended safe version with the _s suffix, and most of these are
> proposed for standardization
> (see, e.g., http://www.open-
> std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1055.pdf.)

Yep -- looked at that, but it doesn't seem to cover all the deprecated
functions -- which is not good :-(

> But in the cases I'm talking about, there seem to be no new 'safe'
> versions. In fact, it's hard see how there could be, since the
> existing functions already provide a buffer size parameter. For
> example, what would basic_istream::read_s look like?

Right, got it -- that doesn't make sense. Should we submit a formal bug report?

> I'm not against the _s functions, by any means, and I'm willing to
> cut microsoft some slack in a beta product. But it looks like
> whoever sprinkled the __declspec's all over the place didn't have a
> clear idea what he was doing.

Fair enough...hopefully they'll refine the offering in a sensible way before
it is released.

Jeff