From: Andrey Melnikov (melnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-11 04:01:08

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Jost, Andrew" <Andrew_Jost_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>>From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
>>
>>[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Eelis van der Weegen

>>>From your description it sounds a lot like Boost.Optional. What are
>>
>>the main differences?
>>
>>>Eelis
>>
>>I'll admit I did not even pause at Boost.optional when I scanned the
>>library listing for previous work, a failure in my ability to connect
>>the description, "Discriminated-union wrapper for optional values," with
>>the concept I had in mind.
>

> Oh, you're right! That is a terrible one-line description, because
>
> a. It uses technical terms that many people probably don't know
> "discriminated union"
>
> b. optional doesn't really act like a union (in any way that matches
> my intuition)! I understand the theoretical connection, of
> course, but nobody is thinking that way when they read brief
> descriptions.

Well, even despite I do understand what "discriminated union" is, it's
more an implementation detail than a brief descripton of practical
applications for the library.

I found Boost.Optional very useful for myself.

http://www.boost.org/libs/optional/doc/optional.html#inplace describes a
usage scenario which has almost nothing to do with optionality.

With boost::optional in-place construction facilities I can easily store
non-Copyable or non-DefaultConstructible objects in STL containers and
avoid extra construction, copy and dynamic memory allocation operations
in many scenarios, even in those not related to containers. For example,
I can return a fresh NonCopyable and NonDefaultConstructible object from
a function without often expensive heap operations.

I even had my own placeholder<> implementation. But I felt myself too
weak to perform boost-style "all possible overloads", and lack of the
safety prevented me from using that class widely.

I wonder how many more pearls are still hidden deeply in Boost
documentation. I'm going to contribute to the documentation (at least in
Wiki due to my poor English) when I finish with Boost.Build.

Andrey