From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-26 11:41:42

Thinking about this, its very odd to me that just initializing some STL
containers takes up so much time.

For someone that has nothing else to do I would love to see the following. A
comprehensive analysis of where the time goes in serialization. Most of the
really deep and time consuming stuff is in templated inline functions - most
of which are reducible to nothing - in theory. I suspect that practice,
performance is all over the map in this area.

In fact, I would be curious to see something like the above for STL in
general. And other boost libraries.

Microsoft used to have - up to VC6 a very nice interrupt driven profiler.
It was very, very simple to use and didn't require instrumenting the code.
I found it very useful. Since I've "upgraded" to VC 7.1 I don't have it
now. Of course they've given me something else - but I haven't figured out
what it is or how it works yet. Its right up there on my list with
figureing out what's involved in making a 64 bit program which runs on ?...

Robert Ramey