From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-27 08:23:02

Damien Fisher wrote:

> I was actually thinking of writing this exact tool using wave
> earlier today, so count me in as someone who would find it
> *very* useful.
>
> You might like to play around with "gcc -M" (which enables
> this feature for gcc).

Yeah, I've seeen this (the Intel compiler has similar capabilities).

Are you still interested in writing such a tool? I'm asking because I
probably won't have so much time for this during the next couple of weeks.
Nevertheless I'd be ready to help to get you started. BTW: There is a Wave
sample (list_includes) which allows to list all the include files found
during preprocessing, AFAIR I've even added this as an option to the wave
driver executable.

One final remark. You'll have to to know, though, that the generated output
of such a Wave based tool will be very specific to the environment it is
used in, i.e. it will list only files 'visible' to the preprocessor. For
instance in the following example the file something.h won't be listed as
long as the constant BLABLA isn't defined.

#ifdef BLABLA
#include <something.h>
#endif

Regards Hartmut