From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-29 21:07:24

> I'm presuming this is related to the compiler hotfix that had been installed
> on that machine? If so it looks like a new compiler bug, however given the
> dire warnings MS places on it's web site about that fix, I don't think we
> should get too exercised about it. The real question is: is there any sense
> in which the compiler could be correct in it's error? Are there any new
> DR's that could be affecting things here? I believe the answer to both is
> "no", and the location of the error message is particularly strange (it
> occurs at the declaration of a typedef that doesn't try to access any base
> classes, just define what the type of the base class actually is).

I have noticed that when vc 7.1 overruns its internal limits (as in the
case the hotfix fixed for us) it does not always give an internal
compiler error. Yesterday one of our boxes where the developer hadn't
installed the hotfix tried compiling and was faced with similarily
bizaar compiler errors claming undefined variables in the very file we
needed the fix to compile. Theses were actually defined and installing
the hotfix made this problem go away. So in short all very odd and it
seems the fix breaks even more obscure things than it fixes.
Unfortuantely once installed it doesn't appear to be able to be
uninstalled on its own so I can't test right now if this will make the
problems go away.

Martin