From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-06 12:48:20

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I sent these related suggestions in a post some time ago, although
> apparently they were missed as I received no response.
>
> ---
>
> I don't know whether this has been mentioned and/or discussed
> previously, but I think it would be better to stick with the default
> font styles both for the text and more importantly for the links in the new
> home page design. Although the alternate font styles and colors to some
> extent make the home page prettier, I find that they actually make it
> harder to read and use.
>
> The default font style is generally one in which text is easily read by
> the user while still being small enough that a large amount of text can
> fit on the screen at once. A custom font, such as the one selected for
> the normal text in the new design, may display either smaller or larger
> than the user would like.

Yes, it's been discussed over and over. Recently, too! I don't have
a strong position on the right answer here, but I can say that I don't
have the ability to change my browser settings so a webpage written
without font and link presentation tuning is as nice for me to look at
as what Rene has done. I suggest you check through the mail archives
and read the various arguments to see if you can add anything new. It
would be a shame to go through the whole business again, especially if
in the end you _do_ have something new to say; it would probably get
lost in the noise.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting