From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-09 04:56:40

Hi,

Christopher asked me if I would be willing to pursue the submission of
this to boost... so I'll give it a shot.

Here's what I've managed to do so far:
As far as portability is concerned,
* Its working and passed basic tests on:
   - VC6 SP6
   - VC7.1
   - BCB6
* Compiles ok, but can't be run with:
   - Como's online compiler (4.33 beta in strict mode)

The the runtime tests show significant improvement, as Christopher said,
for his original tests, and adding an std::string test shows this
version to be roughly twice as fast as boost::any

Some thing I would like help on is, is it necessary to ensure alignment
for types who's size is <= sizeof(void*) ?

The updated version, along with project files for the 3 compilers above
mentioned, is available at:

http://tinyurl.com/dj5pk
or
www.geocities.com/pablo_aguilarg/cdiggins_any_update.zip

I tried registering at the sandbox, but got an error, I guess I should
try later.

Comments?

Pablo