From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-09 08:46:39

From: Fabio Fracassi <f.fracassi_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> > From: Aleksey Gurtovoy <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]>
>
> I think that even the enlarged version is still a tad to small. I find the
> links extremly hard to read.

I don't know what it looks like on your screen, but at my normal
settings, both fonts are quite readable. I can, of course,
enlarge or shrink the text at will.

I note that when I enlarge the text, the background does not grow
with the text, so the links on the right push past the white
background and into the shadow. Since I do find it necessary to
enlarge text for various purposes at many web sites, I can easily
envision someone with vision problems wanting to do the same. At
that point, the links become much harder to use.

> I think that the links should be the same font size as the main text, or if
> you must, only marginaly smaller.

To do so means to use a single column, I think. We're very
nearly there anyway because of the narrow window problems.

> I also don't think it can possibily be confusing or distracting, since the
> Links are well separated by the (very nice looking) shadowed frames.

It's not that you will find yourself reading off the end of a
line and into the links section, but rather that it is visually
more interesting and, thus, draws your attention.

> Most sites I know have link text in either:
>
> Same font size:
> www.slashdot.org
> www.heise.de
>
> Only a little bit smaller:
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
> www.kde.org
>
> Smaller but bolt faced:
> www.gentoo.org

When I view the page in Firefox, the links on the right *do*
appear "only a little bit smaller."

> > THe problem is low contrast relative to the background; it makes
> > the text harder to read, something Rene mentions in another
> > reply in this thread.
>
> Well, but blue on white is fairly standard for the web (look at google,
> wikipedia, ...), and I can't see anybody who is not visually impaired
> having problems with it.

It isn't the standard blue. It is a blue/green color with lower
contrast.