From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-13 01:31:02

As I said before, I am interested in these results. And I suspect a few
culprits. But without output from a profiler its very hard to know where
the slowness is. My past experience in this area leads me to suspect that
one slow part of a program sucks up a way disproptionate amount of CPU time.
Often the first couple of small changes will double or triple performance.
I would be surprised if just setting up an archive is a long process - but
who knows.

I'm also wondering about how much compilers really inline code. This is a
key variable re performance of templated code like this and I'm sure its
hard to pin down. Worse yet, I'm betting it varies all over the place for
different compilers.

Robert Ramey