From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 17:56:43

Hi Jody,

--- Jody Hagins <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I know you want a header only library, but others have voiced the
> need
> to not pollute the namespace with all the stuff from various network
> library header files and such. This almost requires a library
> implemented behind the interface.

Given that such a decision should not affect the library's interface, I
think it's an implementation approach that is worth discussing
(although perhaps after the external interface is refined ;). However,
due to the heavy use of templates only a small amount of it would be
able to go in a library (e.g. OS wrapper facades).

> Along that line, compiles are very slow, probably due to the
> all-header implementation.

I find it slowest with g++, but quite fast with MSVC say, even without
precompiled headers. I put the slow compile speed down to the use of
templates more than the headers themselves because g++'s precompiled
header support only sped up the compile by about 30%.

Cheers,
Chris