From: Andrey Melnikov (melnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-17 21:49:24

Paul A Bristow wrote:
> [...]

Try

   bjam -sTOOLS=vc-8_0 install

for MSVC 2005 beta2

> After too long struggling, I have, again, to beg for help :-((
>
> I have installed bjam at c:\winnt\system32 and confirmed its presence with

It's a bad practice to put anything inside windows folders. But it
should work of course because \system32 is on your %PATH%.

> I:\boost_1_33_0>bjam -v
> Boost.Jam Version 3.1.11. OS=NT.
> Copyright 1993-2002 Christopher Seiwald and Perforce Software, Inc.
> Copyright 2001 David Turner.
> Copyright 2001-2004 David Abrahams.
> Copyright 2002-2005 Rene Rivera.
> Copyright 2003-2005 Vladimir Prus.
>
> Having failed with I:\>bjam -h
> Invalid option: -h
>
> usage: bjam [ options ] targets...
>
> -a Build all targets, even if they are current.
> -dx Set the debug level to x (0-9).
> -fx Read x instead of Jambase.
> -jx Run up to x shell commands concurrently.
> -n Don't actually execute the updating actions.
> -ox Write the updating actions to file x.
> -q Quit quickly as soon as a target fails.
> -sx=y Set variable x=y, overriding environment.
> -tx Rebuild x, even if it is up-to-date.
> -v Print the version of jam and exit.
> --x Option is ignored.
>
> And bjam -? which appears to take a long time doing nothing (I killed it).
>
> despite discouragement from
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>bjam --help
> Jamfile: No such file or directory
> Jamfile: No such file or directory
> ...found 8 targets...
>
> Whose meaning is unclear, except that a jamfile is missing! What are the
> 'targets'?
>
> (BTW why does -v show version and exit - why not show version and carry on
> to document the bjam version used on screen or better in the log file).
>
> My MSVC is standard location: cl.exe and lib.exe and link.exe are at
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin"
>
> so I have assumed that the root is
>
> -sMSVC_ROOT="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\"
>
> I assume I need to specify msvc as my TOOLS
>
> -sTOOLS=msvc

Well, msvc actually means visual c++ 6.0. Newer toolsets are called
vc-7_0, vc-7_1 and vc-8_0. But anyways we are switching to Boost Build
Version 2 in the next release, and there toolsets are named
consistently, and there is only one toolset named msvc for all vc versions.

> My Boost 1.33.0 is installed at
>
> i:\boost_1_33_0
>
> so I have CDed to it and run (to a long file, too much to view on screens
> buffer)
>
> I:\boost_1_33_0>bjam -q -sMSVC_ROOT="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 8\
> VC" -sTOOLS=msvc --builddir=i:\temp --with=test --stagedir=i:\libs
> --without-python stage > i:\temp\bjam.log

This should be:

I:\boost_1_33_0>bjam -d0 -sTOOLS=vc-8_0 --builddir=i:\temp --with-test
--stagedir=i:\libs --without-python stage > i:\temp\bjam.log

> despite --with-test or -with-test_exec_monitor (Is the 'with' name the
> group or the individual? Why a - and not a =?)

I think it's because --with-<feature> is the standard naming convention
on Linux.

> I get ALL the libraries built at i:\libs, as requested.
>
> And they have the wrong name - vc6 - a compiler I thankfully discarded some
> long time ago ;-)

Yes. It's because you used a wrong toolset name.

> I get two versions, one labelled with Boost version, one not. Why?

Can somebody answer this? I'm curious too.

> I presume I can rename and install these lib files, but how should they be
> named Right First Time?

You shouldn't rename it. Just use correct toolset names I mentioned and
they will be named properly. For VS 2005 you should get something like
boost_date_time-vc80-mt.lib

Andrey