From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 06:41:23

> Would adding a runtime parameter improve the API?

Well that's a good question: I'm just thinking out loud really, the options
are choice or no choice, and if choice then compile-time or runtime? My gut
feeling is that compile time parameterisation should be used only when
there's some real benefit, and I don't see it in this case - there's no need
to make everything a template :-) No honestly there isn't really :->

The reason I threw this one in, is that there was a suggestion (from Kevlin
Henney's thread proposal if I remember correctly) to decouple thread object
creation, from the actual execution of the thread, so that then we can tweak
the threads properties with getters/setters before we execute the thread
(think thread priority, scheduling policy etc).

Does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?

John.