From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-01 09:01:50

Simon Richter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to be honest, I am unsure whether SVN fits the boost development model
> any better than CVS does, and propose to look at using git/cogito instead.
>
> Boost mainly consists of a set of "subsystems", which each have their
> respective maintainers, and only a few "glue" files that are mainly
> touched by the release managers. IMO, it would make sense to express
> this in the repository structure by having each subsystem maintained in
> a separate branch, and the "master" repository updated from these
> branches when they are fit for inclusion (similar to the Linux
> development model).

I don't see what problems that will solve.

> Besides that, git has the IMO very valuable separation between commits
> and pushes, that is, you can commit single changes offline and only
> synchronize to the next upstream repository when there is a network
> connection, which may be of great help for some developers.

I think it was already decided to use Subversion.

Well, I realize that these days everybody writes code while on plane ;-),
but it's still better to switch to the most mature CVS replacement, rather
than start arguing if git, one of 3 (or is that 4) variants of arch, or
monotone, or darcs or whatever else is best solution for on-plane
development.

- Volodya