From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-02 09:23:00

On Sep 2, 2005, at 6:10 AM, Lexington Luthor wrote:

> Doug Gregor wrote:
>

>> OSL is only offering to host a Subversion repository. Any proposal to
>> use anything other than Subversion will also need to specify who is
>> going to host the repository.
>>

> I am not a boost developer, I only use boost so I don't know
> exactly how
> much traffic there is to the boost CVS, but most distributed SCM
> systems
> can use dumb servers. For example, darcs can use HTTP for public
> access
> and SSH for developers and even supports simply sending changesets by
> email and so on. Likewise, git supports http/ftp/rsync and probably
> others.

Someone needs to maintain the software on those dumb servers. At this
risk of sounding rude, this is not a point for discussion. OSL will
host a Subversion repository, only. To propose any other SCM tool, we
(Boost) need to know who is going to host it, because that matters
almost as much as the tool itself from a reliability standpoint.

> Also, distributed SCMs can be mirrored very easily (rsync), so the
> load
> can be balanced very easily even from a slow main machine.

This is not a concern.

     Doug