From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-02 16:32:32

Doug Gregor wrote:
>>Thanks. I am a little surprised that como is not among requred
>>compilers -- is seems to be pretty popular...
>
> IIRC, we've had problems with compiler stability and linking that have
> prevented us from making Comeau a release compiler. If we can fix those
> and get a good pass rate, we can make it a release compiler.

There are problems with Comeau on Windows. One problem is that Comeau
does not fully support dynamic libraries, and the other that it is not
obvious what "standard conformity level" should be selected for this
compiler (ie. non-strict, strict warnings --a or strict --A). Compiler
running in non-strict accepts OS headers, but then it is also least
portable (it emulates bugs specific to other compilers on this
platform). Hopefully next version will have better support for shared
libraries and will accept OS headers in strict mode. I do not know if
these issues apply to other platforms. It would be nice to support
Comeau in strict (or strict warnings) mode on at least one combination
platform + backend C compiler.

B.