From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-06 10:46:53

David Abrahams wrote:
> 2. Deserialization of derived classes through base class pointers is
> an incredibly important subject -- even for many first-time users
> -- but the instructions for handling it are buried deep in
> Reference > Serializable Concept > Pointers > Pointers to Objects
> of Derived Classes
>
> (http://www.boost.org/libs/serialization/doc/serialization.html#derivedpointers)
>
> This material _needs_ to be in the tutorial! In fact, the material
> in the reference section is narrative and tutorial in nature, which
> seems inappropriate for a reference manual. Maybe you should just
> move it?

I went back and checked in the tutorial. Previously I had just taken your
assertion that it wasn't in there at face value. Under Tutorial/Pointers in
the table of contents there is a code snippet and link to the complete demo
which shows the serialization of a polymorphic base class. The text doesn't
specifically say its a pointer to a polymorphic base class though this is
obvious from the link to the full example.

So I think this concern can be addressed by enhancing the explanation in
this section of the tutorial.

Robert Ramey