From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-08 17:31:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] temp file

[snip]
> > It is a bit surprising that this is the first request I can recall
> > for a temporary file facility. Seems like a natural addition.
>
> I've been planning such a facility for iostreams, but filesystem seems
like a
> better home for it, especially if I don't have to code it. ;-)
>
> temp_file would be used extensively by the iostreams (and serialization?)
tests.

$0.02

Serialization will/should use "temp_file". I have been doing a bunch of
related work on a persistent vector, i.e. a template that has (almost)
the same i/f as std::vector but persists from one execution of an app
to the next. Un-named (i.e. temporary) persistent vectors are definitely
useful. Implementation of "clear" is made much simpler.

Scott