From: michael toksvig (michaeltoksvig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-16 15:06:05

> "Rob Stewart" <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> It's surprising for the result type to have a less restrictive
> range than the inputs.

add two numbers in the 1-10 range, and you invariably end up with a number
in the 2-20 range

that is both more (in the low end) and less (in the high end) restrictive
than the inputs

i don't find that surprising at all; indeed, i wouldn't consider using a
checked integral class that did not reflect that

but that may just be me, since i can't afford to test at runtime something
that could have been tested at compile time

other people may have other considerations. which is just fine, a good
library doesn't try to be everything to everybody

/michael toksvig