From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-18 07:53:42

Slawomir Lisznianski wrote:
> I've been thinking of a library that would bring RMI-like capabilities
> to C++ (RMI stands for Remote Method Invocation).

> no cross-language support

That's bad, in my opinion. This excludes most of the useful applications
of RMI in distributed systems, where one of the reasons to have a
distributed system is to postpone the implementation choices (language
in particular) or even to *enable* programs in different languages to
communicate.

> As an example, I'm going to "implement" client and server sides of a
> trivial calculator using proposed library.

> struct add
> { typedef function2<double, double, double> function_type; };

How do you plan to solve the problem of double (and any other type for
that matter) having implementation-defined size (and even representation)?

Apart from that, how do you plan to encode *names* of messages, if in
the code they exist only as compile-time names of types? The server has
to somehow map incoming message to one of the registered operations. How?

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/